Submit a Recipe
Mulligatawny Soup (serves 6)
50 g (2 oz) butter
1 medium onion, finely chopped
100 g (4 oz) carrot, finely chopped
100 g (4 oz) swede, finely chopped
1 small eating apple, peeled, cored and finely chopped
50 g (2 oz) streaky bacon, finely chopped
25 g (1 oz) plain flour
15 ml (1 tbsp) mild curry paste
15 ml (1 tbsp) tomato purée
30 ml (2 tbsp) mango chutney
1.4 litres (2½ pints) beef stock
5 ml (1 tsp) dried mixed herbs
pinch of ground mace
pinch of ground cloves
salt and pepper
50 g (2 oz) long grain rice
150 ml (5 fl oz) double cream
1. Melt the butter in a large saucepan, add the onion, carrot, swede, apple and bacon and fry for 5-10 minutes or until lightly browned.
2. Stir in the flour, curry paste, tomato purée and chutney. Cook for 1-2 minutes before adding the stock, herbs and spices. Season to taste.
3. Bring to the boil, skim, cover and simmer for 30-40 minutes. Sieve the soup or purée in a blender or food processor.
4. Return the soup to the pan, bring to the boil, add the rice and boil gently for about 12 minutes or until the rice is tender.
5. Adjust the seasoning. Stir in the cream, reserving a little for garnish. Heat gently, without boiling, then pour into a warmed soup tureen or individual bowls and swirl with cream.
A collection of cooking recipes from around the world.
Any copyrighted material removed upon proof of ownership
Back to Main Menu
Back to Soup Recipes