Submit a Recipe
For the Lasagna
1 1/2 pound lasagna noodles.
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
For the Bolognese Sauce
2 tablespoons butter
6 strips bacon, diced
1/4 pound ham, diced
1/2 pound ground veal or ground pork, or 1/4 pound of each
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
1/2 cup finely chopped carrot
1/2 cup finely chopped celery
1/4 pound thinly sliced mushrooms
3 cloves garlic, minced
Pinch of dried cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3 tablespoons tomato paste
1 cup dry white wine
4 cups chicken stock
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup chopped parsley
For the Béchamel Sauce
4 1/2 cups milk
6 tablespoons butter
6 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
Make the Bolognese Sauce
1. In a large pot, heat the butter over medium-high heat.
2. Add the bacon and ham and sauté until caramelized and light brown, about 10 minutes.
3. Add the ground meats and cook over high heat until well browned, stirring constantly, about 20 minutes.
4. Add the onions, carrots, celery and mushrooms and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
5. Add the garlic, cloves and nutmeg to the pan and cook for 2 minutes.
6. Add the tomato paste and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
7. Add the wine and cook until almost evaporated.
8. Add the stock and simmer over medium-high heat until sauce is thickened and flavorful, about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
9. Season the sauce with salt and pepper to taste.
10. Stir in the cream and parsley, and adjust seasoning if necessary. Set aside until ready to assemble lasagna.
Make the Béchamel Sauce
1. In a saucepan, melt the butter over low heat and stir in the flour, stirring constantly until smooth, about 2 minutes.
2. Slowly whisk the milk into the flour, stirring vigorously to blend together. Set over high heat and quickly bring to a boil for 1 minute stirring.
3. Allow to cook another 5 minutes, or until floury taste is gone. Remove from the heat and add salt and nutmeg to taste.
Build the Lasagna
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Butter a large rectangular baking dish, then spoon some meat sauce onto the bottom of the dish.
3. Cover with one sheet of pasta.
4. Top the lasagna with a layer of meat sauce (making certain that pasta is completely covered), a layer of béchamel sauce, then a light dusting of cheese.
5. Repeat layering lasagna, sauces and cheese in this manner until all have been used, ending with a topping of béchamel sauce and cheese.
6. Bake the lasagna covered with aluminum foil for 45 minutes, and then unwrap and return to the oven for 15 minutes to reach a golden brown.
7. Allow to sit 10 minutes to firm before serving.
A collection of cooking recipes from around the world.
Any copyrighted material removed upon proof of ownership
Back to Main Menu
Back to Pasta Recipes